The Master of Information Management (MIM) is an innovative program that addresses the growing need of organizations for skilled information professionals. The MIM program trains information management professionals who know how to strategically manage information and technology and who understand the issues in information science, computing, and management.
The focus of the MIM program is on ways information and technology can be best organized, implemented and managed to meet the needs of end users. Students learn to apply this knowledge in a variety of business, legal, nonprofit, government and institutional settings that are affected by changes in the global environment every day.
The program for the MIM degree requires 36 credit hours of academic work to be completed with a minimum average of B within five calendar years from the first registration. The usual and recommended course of study requires approximately 18-24 months for full-time students.
WHAT IS UNIQUE ABOUT MIM?
The MIM program at Maryland’s iSchool teaches much more than how to gather, store and retrieve information. It teaches you to blend the technology used in information management with critical decision-making skills. It is quite possibly the most balanced advanced degree available, one that teaches how to control an organization’s most vital resource--information.
The MIM program is structured to connect your learning experiences to real-world settings through projects carried out in real organizations. These experiences enable you to succeed in the growing information management field.
THE MIM PROGRAM IS BASED ON:
- A cross-disciplinary approach that combines theory and problem-based learning
- A flexible curriculum with convenient class scheduling
- An innovative curriculum that allows students to gain knowledge that can be applied immediately on the job
- A diverse group of students who bring varied experiences and perspectives to the classroom and strong connections you can tap throughout your career
- A proven track record of excellence in the College of Information Studies at the University of Maryland
- A highly respected and involved faculty, and the superior resources available at top-ranked University of Maryland
THE MIM PROGRAM OFFERS UNPARALLELED OPPORTUNITIES:
- Information-intensive institutions and businesses: Shady Grove is located in what is possibly the nation's fastest growing "technopolis”, which includes the Metropolitan Washington, DC area, the I-270 Research and Technology Corridor and Northern Virginia's Dulles Corridor.
- Career and leadership opportunities in business, government, education, trade and professional associations, the media and entertainment industry, nonprofit organizations, and entrepreneurial settings.
The MIM program exposes you to state-of-the-art technology and provides you with several options to gain experience through applied learning that bridges the world between theory and practice. As a result, with a MIM degree you are empowered to lead change and lead people in mobilizing information as you assume gainful rewarding employment in our global economy.
Please contact us, or visit the iSchool website at www.ischool.umd.edu for more information about the program requirements, courses offered, and faculty.
Dr. Vedat G. Diker (email@example.com)
Bldg. III, Room 5131
Mr. Hussain Abbas (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Bldg. III, Room 5113
Ms. Vicky H. Reinke (email@example.com)
Bldg. III, Room 5133 (Program Office)
Walk-in Information Sessions
Inquiries are welcome at all times. Please contact Mr. Abbas, Ms. Reinke or Dr. Diker via email or phone to discuss your concerns or arrange an office visit.
During the Fall and Spring semesters, we hold walk-in information sessions every Thursday evening between 5:30-7:00 PM in the Program Office. However, please call ahead to verify that a session has not been cancelled. If that time is not convenient for you, contact us to schedule another day and time to meet.