Committee for Interprofessional and Interdisciplinary Eduation Strategies (CIPES)
In 2009, USGs Executive Director engaged Senior Staff and a diverse group of faculty from partnership institutions in a conversation about the value of Interdisciplinary and Interprofessional activities to students, faculty and the community at-large.
From these early conversations this group was charged with developing Interprofessional/Interdisciplinary activities at USG. The CIPES committee’s objectives were to:
- provide administrative coordination for all Interdisciplinary/Interprofessional activities at USG, and
- facilitate communication between all of the USG schools and programs at USG to optimize Interdisciplinary/Interprofessional interactions.
To promote excellence in education through Interprofessional and Interdisciplinary collaboration and scholarship, and to assure that Universities at Shady Grove students are exposed to the knowledge and skills to engage collaboratively with other disciplines and professions to provide high quality service to the populations they serve.
Goals and Objectives
- Develop and promote Interprofessional/Interdisciplinary collaborations through educational coursework and laboratories, community outreach, and scholarship innovations.
- Provide infrastructure for faculty development in Interprofessional/Interdisciplinary education.
- Conduct evaluative research and refine Interprofessional/Interdisciplinary education initiatives
- Strive for local and national leadership and recognition as a provider of innovative Interprofessional and interdisciplinary education and experiences.
CIPES Committee (Founding)
- Heather Congdon, UMB, Assistant Dean School of Pharmacy, Chair
- Mary Lang, Director of Planning, USG
- Diane Alonso, UMBC, Psychology
- John Callahan, UB, Program Director Health Systems Management
- Karen Clark, UMB, School of Nursing
- Michelle Marcellino, UMCP
- Tom Stanton, UMCP Biological Sciences
- Chris Steele, UMBC